If you’re treating yourself a body wrap treatment to lose a few inches and pounds, the most difficult part is keeping the weight off a few days after your session. Body wrap treatments that promote weight loss and tighten the skin often serve as a diuretic; the herbal ingredients and oils in the wrap can boost circulation, remove excess water stored in the body, and make you shrink about a dress size immediately after the treatment.
However, this ‘weight loss’ is quickly regained after you resume eating and drinking, and it can be disheartening to miss out on the opportunity to look your best if you’re preparing for a special occasion. If you’re heading off to the spa for a body wrap treatment in hopes of losing weight – but want to keep it off for a few extra days – here’s what you need to know:
- Stay active. Take part in light exercises such as aerobics, stretching, yoga, or pilates for the days following your body wrap to keep your circulation going and reduce any toxin buildup. Most toxins released into your bloodstream during the treatment will be released from the heat and steam of the wrap, but any leftover toxins can be harmful and need to be flushed out.
- Drink water sparingly. You will be thirsty after the session because the body wrap serves as a diuretic and reduces your water weight. However, guzzling down pitchers of water can cause bloating and discomfort, so plan on sipping on a bottle or two of water for the days ahead to keep your body in balance.
- Eliminate junk and processed foods from the diet. These can be especially taxing in your body and can lead to bloating as well as weight gain. Steer clear of heavy meals and processed foods, and reach for the soup, salad, and fruit bowl more often than not.
- Eat light in the morning. Opt for fruit and a light cereal each morning so you can keep up with your body’s natural detoxification process. The body undergoes its own detoxification process overnight, and you can help it in the morning hours by eating only light foods such as fruit. This is also a good strategy to prevent water retention.
- Stretch before bedtime. Release tension in your muscles with light stretches and promote circulation with a few simple exercises. This will help prevent muscle aches and pains you may be experiencing after the detox, and can help prepare your body for a restful night’s sleep.
- Nourish the skin with moisturizers after a shower. Continue enjoying a smooth, toned skin by applying moisturizer immediately after your shower. This is the best time for skins to absorb oils and moisturizing agents and it can help preserve your ‘fresh-from-the-spa’ look for a longer period of time.
When you’re investing the time and money for a soothing body wrap, extend its benefits with a few lifestyle modifications afterwards. It’s easy to keep the weight off with some changes in your diet and a simple exercise plan.